Can Opening a Window Stop Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

  • By: Promise
  • Time to read: 5 min.
I'm a passionate writer, a blogger and a web designer. I spend most of my time surfing the internet and writing quality articles.

Opening the window can only stop carbon monoxide poisoning if the amount of oxygen coming inside the room is higher than the amount of carbon monoxide present in the room. If after opening the window, yet, enough air is not in the room, it may not stop the poisoning.

Health is wealth, but if not properly taken care of, there are certain things that would terminate one’s life by affecting their health, and one of such is carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is a deadly and harmful fume that affects the lungs and affects ones breathing. Once one continues taking in much carbon monoxide into your system, then the person’s health is at risk and it may result in some sicknesses that are deadly and so harmful to the body.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide popularly known as CO is a form of gas that has no odor, or color but they are majorly formed or created by the incomplete combustion of fuels.

Immediately you open yourself or get yourself exposed to carbon monoxide, it would become so evident than the normal oxygen needed on a daily basis, which would result in some form of poisoning.

The poisoning is basically harmful to the human body because it can cause lungs cancer and other ailments that can terminate one’s life easier.

How Does Carbon Monoxide Occur?

Carbon monoxide can easily occur when some substances like gas, coal, and certain woods are not properly burnt or used.

Also, it is important to note that such things as charcoal, smokes that come out of cars or other moving vehicles, and cigarettes can as well produce that gas that emanates from carbon monoxide.

No household can deal without the use of gas, oil, coal, and other substances from fuel. And these are all sources of carbon monoxide if not properly used or managed in the house, it can as well as cause big havoc in an entire environment.

What are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

There are certain symptoms that when you see in your body or health, you should not overlook, you should quickly know that it might have been caused by too much exposure to carbon monoxide poisoning and such should be treated urgently while a recalculation on how to use some fuel substances in your house or environment should be carefully applied.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include the following:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Upset stomach
  • Vomiting
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion

All these are some common symptoms that are attached to carbon monoxide poisoning and if not handled or treated properly, can cause one’s life at the end of the day.

Can Opening a Window Stop Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Yes, opening your window can go a long way in helping you put an end to the poisoning that comes from carbon monoxide. Nonetheless, you should not be well relaxed because only the opening of windows is not a 100% guarantee to put a stop to this.

As good as it sounds, there are other ways you can employ to help you stop it, and if they are properly and carefully put to work, you would not have issues with carbon monoxide poisoning again.

Can Sleeping with a Window Open Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

No, sleeping with a window open would not prevent you from the poisoning that comes from carbon monoxide. Don’t forget that open windows with a draft going out of them can pull carbon monoxide into the bedroom. So, this is not the right and best option for you to apply in order to prevent you and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.

If the proper and best methods are applied by everyone, people would not be worrying themselves about such challenges, but as long as the issue has not been addressed, it would keep reoccurring from time to time.

How to Get Rid of Carbon Monoxide in the House

To get rid of carbon monoxide in the house, you must;

  1.  Buy a carbon monoxide detector. This is very important because with it you would know when there is carbon monoxide in the house, create a means to tackle it, and keep it away from your environment. This is very important.
  2. Ensure your fireplace damper is not opened before lightning it and leave it closed until all ashes are gone. This is as important as anything because it goes a long way in helping you have a carbon monoxide-free home and an environment that is free from the poisoning that comes from carbon monoxide.
  3. Ensure your cars are turned off while in the garage. Knowing that a garage is a closed place, it is important not to leave your car ignitions on while your cars are parked in the garage. Letting it on would produce carbon monoxide.
  4. Avoid using your generators indoors. This has caused a lot of life and properties. Please never use your generators indoors, it is very dangerous to you and everyone in your household because the level of carbon monoxide it would generate would cause a big danger to the lives of people in that house
  5. Always service all your appliances. This is another way to have a free carbon monoxide home because when all your appliances are well serviced as at when due, none of them would generate any fume that would produce carbon monoxide.

There are certain things that must be done for you to get rid of carbon monoxide.

As stated in some parts of this article, the onions lie on you to ensure you follow the certain steps that have been outlined to ensure that you get rid of carbon monoxide. Such are:

  • Having good cross ventilation at home
  • Having a good carbon monoxide detector
  • Having your appliances serviced regularly as at when due
  • Not using your generators inside your house
  • Not leaving your cars on, while in the garage
  • Avoiding your fire damper open during and after lighting the fire

How Long Will It Take Carbon Monoxide to Disappear from Home?

Basically, it takes up to five hours to get carbon monoxide to disappear in a home, this is if the proper steps and methods are taken by the house owners. You can read more on how long it takes for carbon monoxide to dissipate here.

Final Thoughts

Carbon monoxide poisoning is deadly and should not be taken for granted. Get rid of them in your house by taking the steps and methods listed in this article and enjoy a house free of carbon monoxide.

Is It Illegal to Rent Out Your Basement

Previous Post

Is It Illegal to Rent Out Your Basement?

Next Post

Is It Illegal to have a Bedroom in the Basement?

Is It Illegal to have a Bedroom in the Basement