You don’t need a building permit to build a 6×8 or 8×10 shed. But if it’s a large shed, it may provoke local zoning restrictions. Moreover, some places will only require you to put your shed in the backyard. Therefore, it’s important to inquire from your local building authorities.
Generally speaking, you would not require a permit to build a shed, but it all depends on your area and country.
While in certain places you would require a permit for a particular diameter of the shed, in some other places you would require a permit even if you are building the smallest diameter of a shed.
People are excited to have a shed on their property because it will help serve a lot of purpose to them. Sheds are usually built based on their needs or how important they can be to the environment.
To some, it would serve as a place to stay and cool off while others would use it for a different purpose depending on what they want at a time.
Therefore, in this article, we would be guiding you on certain things that need to be done if you are considering adding a shed to your space.
These steps and guides would help you to avoid unwanted errors and unnecessary mistakes that may turn out not too good for you in the future.
What are the Rules for Building a Shed?
The following are certain rules that should be adhered to before building a shed. They are as follows:
- Get a permit from your local authorities (if required)
- Do not allow your shed to face the wall that is typically the elevation point of your house
- You must ensure that your shed does not exceed a single story
- 2.5 meters is the best for the eave’s height of the shed
- Ensure that the height does not exceed 4 meters (this is actually for dual pitch roof) while other roofs that are not dual pitch should not exceed 3 meters
- In case you have a shed that is not more than 2 meters, from the boundaries of the property, the height should not be more than 2.5 meters.
- If your shed is like 20 meters from your property, it should not be more than 10 square meters (basically for national parks, good sites)
Do You Need a Permit to Build a Shed?
Not in every place. Some places would not ask you for a permit depending on the type of shed you are building, while in some other places the reverse would be the case.
It is most advised that you consult your local authorities and find out what works best in your place; if you would require a permit for the certain diameter of a shed, if you would require a permit for all diameters of a shed, or if you would not require any permit at all.
What Happens If You Build a Shed Without a Permit?
Building a shed without a permit will lead to:
- Total demolition of the shed without compensation.
- You would be required to pay certain fines for contravening the laws and doing things your own way, and
- A lien may be placed on your property.
Every law is intended to guide and be a focus for people, and when such is broken there are certain things that would be done in order to either punish the person(s) that broke the said law or to make amendments to it.
Even when learning how to build shipping container homes and finally building one, both still require you to do the needful and the only way to be sure is by contacting the building authority in your area. They are in the best position to tell you what to do.
Do Permit Requirements for Sheds Vary by Location?
Yes, permit requirements to build a shed vary by location. It all depends on where you are and the stipulated laws that work in that very locality.
In certain places, you would be required to put the shed in the backyard, while others will ask for some building codes to certify the shed.
Generally, you will be required to get a permit if your shed has the following:
- Size of the shed: This varies from place to place
- Electrical installations: If you want to install electricity in the shed, you would be required to get a permit.
- Usage: If you want to use it for business, you would need to get a permit for that
- Placement of the shed
- Association of owners
What Size Shed Can I Put Up Without Planning Permission?
In most cases, if you are intending to build a shed that would be more than square feet, you would really be required to get a permit in order for you to be able to complete such and enjoy its use.
But if your shed is something that would be within the measurement of 8×8 or 6×8, in most places you would not need a permit to build it.
This is to say that the smaller the size, the opportunity of not getting a permit, but the bigger the size, then a permit is required. All are still subject to municipal laws.
Do You Need a Permit for a 10×12 Shed?
Yes, you will need a permit to build a shed that is 10×12. In converting this, 10×12 is basically 120 square feet, and in almost all municipalities, if your shed is measuring more than 100 square feet, you would be required to get a permit for it, and 10×12 is more than 100 square feet, so you would need a permit to have it built.
You can as well contact your authorities to see if there are any changes in your building laws or any amendment so far.
It is important to follow standards and have things done in the right way. As you are planning or if you are currently planning to have a shed built in your property you would need to follow certain steps and also consult all authorities to ensure you are legally permitted to do such.